Microsoft recently unveiled Copilot, an ambitious new AI assistant designed to help users be more productive and creative across work, life, and play. Copilot will bring together Microsoft’s investments in natural language processing, multi-modal AI, and contextual computing into a single unified experience.
Available first through Windows 11, Microsoft 365, and web access on Edge and Bing, Copilot acts as a digital sidekick that understands user context and needs. It aims to provide helpful information, suggestions, and automation across tasks and apps through conversational interactions.
Key capabilities include:
- Accessing Copilot via Windows 11 taskbar and keyboard shortcut to get AI assistance alongside any app
- Generating images, editing photos, removing backgrounds, and more in Windows apps like Paint, Photos, and Clipchamp using AI
- Personalized and contextual answers in Bing based on user search history, interests, and cross-app data
- Shopping tools in Bing and Edge to find better deals, compare prices, and get recommendations
- Integration of OpenAI’s DALL-E 3 model into Bing to create stunning AI-generated images
- Microsoft 365 Copilot to transform office work through writing aids, task automation, and an intelligent assistant
- Chat version called Microsoft 365 Chat to combine work data and tools into a productivity-boosting AI assistant
Microsoft believes this marks a new era of AI that will reshape how people use technology. Copilot aims to enhance popular consumer and business products like Windows, Microsoft 365, Bing, and Edge with more advanced, useful and responsible AI capabilities.
The company also highlighted Copilot experiences on new Surface devices like Laptop Studio 2. Microsoft sees Surface hardware as the ideal stage for Copilot capabilities.
The rollout of Copilot starts with Windows 11 on September 26th, followed by Microsoft 365 and web access in the coming months. Microsoft is positioning Copilot as a frictionless, secure and responsible AI agent that understands user needs and works across their tools and devices.